Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Preparing for Bryce Canyon National Park

Heading Somewhere New


I've never been to Bryce Canyon National Park but I'm planning to go over the Veteran's Day weekend. It's not too far from my home in Phoenix, Arizona; according to Google it's about a 7 hour drive. That drive is the route through Page, Arizona.

I don't know if I've mentioned it here before, but I drive about everywhere. I haven't flown for probably 10 years and if I can avoid it, I hope to never fly again. I probably only have a normal amount of fear of flying but I have a huge distaste for the hassle of airports and I like driving and having my vehicle with me. That does mean, however, that visiting the east coast of the U.S. takes more time and effort.

Here are some or most or all of the steps I'm going through to prepare to visit somewhere new...


My 3 Point Pre-Visit Checklist


  1. Choose a destination
    1. Determine the time available and therefore the maximum distance
    2. Look on the map for new destinations
    3. Look at pictures taken at new destinations
    4. Choose the new destination
  2. Determine lodging and dining locations
    1. Is free camping available?
      1. If not, is paid camping available?
        1. If not, where are the cheap motels?
    2. Where are the cheap eateries like McDonald's?
      1. Are there stores available for sandwich makings?
  3. Compile a list of photography targets
    1. Research any online guides to the destination
    2. Do a more thorough review of any online photographs
    3. Look at the Photographer's Ephemeris to note sunrise and sunset times and sun locations and moon information with respect to one or more photography targets
    4. Create and print a list of photography targets with notes

Gear Checklist


Since I normally take just about everything I own, which is easy when driving my vehicle, the only real checklist items here are:

RAVPower USB / WiFi Hub
  1. Cleaning
    1. Clean camera sensors 
      1. Built in cleaning plus the "Rocket"
      2. Once per year have the sensor professionally cleaned
    2. Clean lenses
      1. Normally dusting and "Rocket" are all that is required
  2. Charge all batteries
    1. Cameras
    2. Kindle
    3. USB / WiFi Hub
    4. Small recharger

Personal Items


I also need to pack clothes, a toothbrush, and perhaps some deodorant. You never know when those things might come in handy! I actually keep my travel bag mostly packed with my travel clothes so I don't have to do a lot in this area.

If I'm taking my dog Elmer I throw in his blanket, bed, sweater, and dog food.

My notes about Bryce Canyon National Park


When looking for a destination I settled on Zion and / or Bryce Canyon National Park. Zion seemed potentially more interesting, or at least more diverse. However, until after the Veteran's Day weekend, you have to use their shuttle to get around inside the main valley. I didn't like that for 2 reasons: 1) I'd have to carry gear that I thought I'd use while leaving the rest unattended in my vehicle; 2) it automatically excluded the option of taking my dog Elmer. I chose to go to Bryce Canyon.

I'll only have 1 full day at Bryce Canyon, but since I'm still not physically fit enough to do much hiking, that should be fine. I should be able to get 2 sunsets and 2 sunrise opportunities. There are free camping sites such as U.S. Forest Service "Red Canyon" (although it's closed this time of year) or FR088. I intend to leave on Thursday to get a head start, and to camp for free near Sunset Crater NP close to Flagstaff, such as near the park entrance.

I found a few websites that are helpful when it comes to photographing Bryce Canyon National Park including this one from Bret Edge Photography.

I'm looking forward to visiting this new (to me) park and hopefully getting some great shots!



No comments:

Post a Comment