Sunday, August 30, 2015

My 2015 Vacation, Part 7 of 7

Morning at Cape Lookout State Park
I was awake shortly after 6:00 AM on Thursday, 8/6/2015. I’d woke up a few times during the night to re-arrange my blanket but it still hadn’t been chilly enough to crawl inside the sleeping bag. I was disappointed from the lack of cold temperatures; coming from Phoenix I really wanted to be cold in August for a change! I had other worries though…

When I got out of the tent I found that everything was covered in dew. The outside of the tent was very wet. Fortunately I hadn’t left anything outside. I’d put everything else in the tent or the Exploder. I broke down the tent, snapping the elastic in one of the poles, and rolled it up and put it in its waterproof case very wet. I took a few morning pictures of the campground with the iPhone and then got headed north.

My plan for the upcoming night was to stay in La Push, Washington so I had a few miles to drive. According to Google it was about 274 miles and estimated at almost 6 hours of driving. This would be a longer drive than I’d had the last couple of days and also meant less time for taking pictures.


Netarts Bay and Three Arch Rocks, Oregon

I headed back to Tillamook, taking a few pictures of Netarts Bay along the way. In Tillamook I visited the McDonald’s but their WiFi didn’t appear to work so I ate my breakfast and then hit the road. I punched up La Push on Jill the GPS and started up the Exploder.

Somewhere outside of Tillamook, Oregon
This ended up being the second misdirection by Jill. I don’t get what the calculations were but since I’m not completely familiar with all of the roads around Tillamook, Oregon, I followed the instructions. I can’t even tell you where I ended up going. Tillamook is right on Highway 101 but I ended up out in the sticks somewhere. The one picture I took on the side jaunt has an incorrect GPS marker. I ended up finding a woman walking her dog along a country road and asked her for directions back to the Highway 101. Just like my route around Los Angeles, it happened on a day I needed to make some miles.


Neahkahnie Viewpoint, Oregon
I stopped at Neahkahnie Viewpoint for some pictures with the Nikon and a selfie with the iPhone, then continued on north. That was the end of my Oregon Coast photography. I was headed into Washington.

I’ve driven Highway 101 before and knew that the next bit of driving was not going to be that interesting, until the road winds back out to the coast in Washington.


Crossing the Astoria-Megler Bridge
into Washington
Once you cross the Astoria-Megler Bridge into Washington and get off of the Columbia River, there’s not a lot to see. I chose to continue up the Highway 101 after getting over the bridge so that I could drive along the Willapa Bay. Shortly after getting into Washington it started raining lightly enough that I had to use my windshield wipers. That caused the traffic to slow down even more. The slow traffic was wh
at I noticed in Washington. Everyone drove slooooow.


I continued on, fueling up in Cosmopolis just outside of Aberdeen.


Douglas Fir "Hallway"
Then I passed through Aberdeen, through the tall Douglas Fir “hallway”, past the Quinalt area, and finally got back to the coast and pulled off at Klaloch State Campground to take some photographs using the iPhone and the Nikons. The sun was back out at the coast and I was very happy to see some more beach!

I drove farther but had to stop at the overlook at Beach 4 as well! This wayside does not have beach access. It has a trail from the parking lot that ends at a small viewpoint perhaps 75 feet above the beach with a split rail fence that tries to keep you back from the edge. From there you can see the beach stretching north as well as the Destruction Island Lighthouse, about 3 miles offshore. From here you view the island from the south east which could make for a nice sunset shot.

Beach at Klaloch State Park, Washington
But, I had more miles to drive. I headed on up Highway 101, turning inland near Ruby Beach, which I regretfully didn’t stop at. I just couldn’t stop everywhere, dangit. When I got to the Hoh Ox Bow Campground I decided to see if I had time to head up to the Hoh Rainforest in the Olympic National Park.

I had planned to stay at the Quileute Oceanside Resort at La Push, Washington. I had called them a couple of we
eks before starting my trip and they said I didn’t need a reservation. I wanted to call and make sure everything was still as planned, and of course, it wasn’t. I knew when I called them I should have forced the issue and got a reservation. They were full up and I wasn’t going to be able to stay there. I had really wanted to take some sunset pictures of the rocks as La Push.

My site at the Hoh Rainforest, Washington

Then I decided I better see if there was a place to camp at the Hoh Rainforest. There was. So I headed up there. I got a campsite and decided to set my tent up, mainly so that it could dry out in the rainforest. Then I went over to the Hoh River and took some pictures. I had really wanted to get pictures of the forest in a mist but it was a nice, clear, warm day.

I ended up going to bed early – for some reason I was tired.

I got up early too, about 5:30 AM on Friday, August 7, 2015. I packed up the tent, knocking 3 slugs off of it, but at least it was dry now. I headed back out of the park, stopping to take some pictures of the forest and what’s left of the “Big Spruce Tree”.

The Hoh Rainforest, Olympic National Park, Washington


Then I was back on the road, headed to Forks, Washington, where the “Twilight” vampire movies were set. From there I talked to my son and was off to meet him in Port Angeles, Washington.

The rest of my trip was spent with family and friends for the most part, and even though I got some photography in, the time was focused more on my relationships so I’ll end my saga here. For now. Thanks for travelling with me!

Click here to go to the Beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment