Sunday, April 27, 2014

What a Ratio!

Some mathematics


I just got finished taking and editing some pictures of a couple of bouquets that my wife got for her birthday last week.


As I uploaded them from the camera to the PC, I noticed that I was on about picture 6,500. I also know I've reset the counter a couple of times (not intentionally, it just took me a few uploads to realize that the camera resets the counter at times, which I've now turned off). I'll bet I still haven't shot quite 7,000 pictures with the camera though.

So lets say I've shot 6,750. I got the camera at the end of August, which was 8 months ago. That's less than 1,000 pictures taken per month. In fact, it's about 843 pictures per month.

I wonder how that compares to other people?

I also have posted around 270 "finished" pictures to my gallery (it's uploading my new pics right now so I don't know the exact number). I think I have more to go. So let's say I may have 300 pictures that I consider good.

That would be 300 out of 6,750 pictures taken, for a ratio of about 4%. I was hoping I was getting closer to 10%!

And, if you grant me 300 pictures that I think are good, and note that I've spent roughly $3,000 on my camera gear, that means each "good" picture cost about $10.

I don't know if they're worth it on a per-picture basis, but I know that when I've gone through my pictures again I remember the places, the times of day, the peaceful feelings, having my dog with me, the drive to and from the location, etc. The older I get, the harder those memories are to relive on their own so for me the pictures are priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment