Thursday, November 8, 2018

It's Here!

Just a quick post -

I ordered my D850 from B & H last Sunday (11/4/2018) and got it the following Tuesday (11/6/2018). Now that's service! I was sick and didn't get to do much with it except unbox it.

Today, 11/8/2018, I got my Sony 64 G XQD G series card. I shot a few pics and got them transferred to my PC using my new Sony XQD USB Adapter.

The pics were bad (taken indoors with no flash) so I'm not going to post them.

I was happy to get the ingest chain working again since I haven't done any photography for almost 2 years. That was the good part.

The bad part, kind of, is that I have forgotten how to use my software. I figured out the Nikon Transfer 2 that I use and have liked (I may look for something else but it does what I want - allows me to rename and to copy to 2 destinations so I get my backup at the same time). And, now that I'm using USB 3 for reading from the card, it was faster than off the SD cards even with about 45M files.

Lightroom, Photoshop, and Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) were different stories.

In Lightroom, once I imported the files, the images wouldn't show up in the Develop module. I found a solution on Adobe's web - you have to disable using the graphics card.

When I opened the image in Photoshop and ACR, I realized I don't have any of my old settings any longer. Part or all of that is because I swapped out my main hard drive a year ago for an SSD and re-installed all of my software including the Adobe stuff.

So now I've got some work to do in addition to learning the D850 - I need to re-learn the Adobe software. I've been paying for the CC software for almost 2 years now without using it so this will be a good thing and I'm actually getting excited about it. It's like I'm a New Photographer all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment