Saturday, August 27, 2016

More Support Gear

I could spend a lot of time and money at the REI store in Tempe, Arizona store! I went to Tempe to pick up my freshly cleaned Nikon D610 (it always has that new camera smell and is to shiny when I pick it up from Tempe Camera), but stopped at REI on my way. My wife was with me and wanted to go there too.

My last post was a testimony to travelling light, including NOT cooking. However, I have been toying with getting a backpacking stove and decided to pick one up at REI. My considerations are the following:

  1. We have a two burner camp stove. However, it runs on white gas or unleaded. To get it to run I have to carry a supply of fuel. When we camp in our pickup I take a gallon container of regular unleaded gasoline - stored in the bed of the pickup. In my Explorer I either have to have it inside the vehicle or strapped to the roof. I haven't been comfortable with either one since I don't want to smell it inside the vehicle and I don't want to carry it on the roof in Arizona where temperatures often are over 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. A backpacking stove uses the screw on fuel cells with no odor, more easily stored.
  3. Using some kind of a small stove allows me to at least cook a hot dog, top ramen, or egg. This will likely save me some bux while providing me with a hot meal. I'll be taking my small cooler anyway so carrying hot dogs and eggs won't be a stretch. That makes me wonder - can I make acceptable coffee? Hmmm...
Primus Yellowstone Classic Trail Stove
So, when I saw this little Primus Yellowstone Classic Trail Stove for $20 I couldn't pass it up. It, along with a pack of hot dogs, will probably pay for itself in a couple of days. 

I added an MSR ISOPRO canister for about another $5 and boosted my stove expenditure to about $25. 

When I got home I boiled a pan of water and it was boiling in about 1 minute. This thing appears to be compact, inexpensive, and efficient at heating (well, at least in 100 degree weather)!

MSR Stowaway Pot - 1600ml
Of course a new stove has to have new cooking utensils, and REI hooked me up there too. They're having a sale on the MSR Stowaway Pot - 1600ml for about $19.00. It looks plenty big to cook some hot dogs, top ramen, and/or eggs. I couldn't pass it up so I didn't.


It held the water that I boiled in less than 2 minutes on top of the Primus stove!

I also added the lovely purple Snow Peak Titanium Spork - Colored in purple. How could I not! Especially when purple is one of my wife's favorite colors!

I think I'm set in the cooking department now. And, since I've received my copy of the gallon water jug, my trip to Yosemite should be very satisfactory.

1 Gallon BPA FREE Reusable
Plastic Drinking Water Big
Mouth "Dairy" Bottle Jug
Container with Holder
I received my 1 Gallon BPA FREE Reusable Plastic Drinking Water Big Mouth "Dairy" Bottle Jug Container with Holder from Amazon yesterday.

It is smaller than I expected but I measured it and it does hold one gallon - with very little room to spare. The liquid comes right up to the bottom of the mouth.

I've noticed that not all one gallon water bottles are the same size when I get them from the gas stations so even if the one I purchase is a bit over a gallon I can simply drink any extra that won't fit in this container.

I also wonder how it's going to work due to elevation changes. I hope it doesn't burst through the lid!

My other concern is that there aren't a lot of threads on the cap. I wish it was a bit more heavy duty by having more and deeper threads. I kind of would like a second one (I usually get water for my dogs out of the faucet and carry it in a separate container - they don't care if it's bottled drinking water and they often don't drink all that I give them meaning that I waste a lot of their water).  At this point, though, I'll wait a while and see how this lasts before buying a second one.

I didn't mention before, but the bottles I've been using are bottled water bottles from Walgreens - they have disposable, squarish 1 gallon water bottles with large, screw on caps. I just wanted something a bit more durable.

Darn Tough Micro Crew Cushion
Hiking Socks - Men's
UPDATE -  I also want to mention a couple of additional items about REI...

  1. I got turned on to Darn Tough Socks and picked up a couple of pair through Amazon recently. REI has them in stock and today they were 25% off. My wife picked up a pair but I think she plans to get another pair. They are amazing socks with a life time warranty - the catch is they're not cheap. But I will definitely be getting more. They're cheaper at REI than I paid at Amazon, by the way, even without the sale.
  2. My wife tried on a number of hiking boots but didn't make a decision yet about what to get. However, the staff at REI are great when it comes to selecting anything. She plans to go back when it's less busy to see if she can get more info about a hiking boot. One thing we were told was that unless you're definitely going to be getting in water, a non-water proof boot will be a lot cooler in the Arizona heat. We hadn't thought of that. Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment