Friday, October 9, 2015

A Metamorphosis Begins

First, I can't believe it's been almost a month since my last post. Time has been flying but not due to much fun.

Not that things have been horrible, it's just that I haven't been shooting pictures for the last month. I've been trying to get out but for one reason or another I haven't made it. In part because I've been recovering from my Oregon trip. I REALLY enjoyed that trip and have been disenchanted with the Arizona offerings - mainly because I'd been almost every area in the state and just wasn't feeling the drive to go back to any of the places. I was just in a funk.


Then, I ordered a book about photographing in Arizona, from the same company where I bought the book about photographing Oregon. I mentioned this book in an earlier post

The only large area in Arizona that I hadn't been to was the "Arizona Strip", the area north of the Grand Canyon. As I was reading the entries for this area, it mentioned Toroweap. I have had an urge to go to Toroweap since hearing about it shortly after moving to Arizona in 2001 but had not gone. I pondered for a few minutes and then found a photography tour that was going out in early October from Dreamland Safari Tours and called them to discuss it.

To cut to the chase, I didn't end up going on the tour and after my trip described below, I'm still okay with it. But it sounds like a good deal if you think you can stomach it!


Off to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon


Rainy Day at Conoco on U.S. Route 89 in Flagstaff
I decided to take some vacation days (originally scheduled for the Toroweap visit) to go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park. I hadn't been to any of those areas, I'd never headed west from U.S. Route 89. I left Phoenix about 5:45 AM on Tuesday, 10/6/2015 and headed up, travelling alone, without even my pup Elmer.

It was a rare rainy day. I stopped in Flagstaff after getting on to U.S. 89 to fill up the fuel tank in the rain and brisk weather. I didn't know what fuel would cost up the road but I thought I'd get it for as cheap as possible. 


I ended up pretty much just driving straight through to DeMotte Campground to try to get a camp site. There were no reservations available online, all spots that could be reserved were taken, but they did have walk up sites so I was hoping I'd get one of them, which I did (I stayed in sites #7 and #18 on different nights). The campground at the North Rim was booked solid through the last day of October which is when they close for the winter. DeMotte Campground is 7 miles north of the park entrance so it's not too much of a drive. Plus, there's a small store and gas station almost across U.S. 67 from the campground.


Highway 89, half way between Cameron and Tuba City
I didn't do much sight-seeing or photo taking on the way up except for a couple of iPhone snaps because it was very socked in and I really couldn't see anything more than 1/2 a mile or so from the road. I did notice the bridge over the Colorado River at Marble Canyon / Lee's Ferry area but since I was pressed to try to get a walk in campsite I didn't stop.

And by not stopping, I learned a lesson as a budding photographer. After heading south on Arizona State Route 67 at Jacob's Lake, you pass through a nice pine forest. After about 5 miles (as the crow flies) there is an area that was hit by a forest fire, and then after another 5 miles or so you re-enter the pines. On my visit, there was a dusting of snow and it was beautiful. As an Arizona resident I rarely see snow unless I drive where it is. I really wanted some photographs of the pines with snow but I drove past thinking I'd come back. I didn't - I ended up going on to the Grand Canyon. 

The lesson is that if you see something you really want a photograph of, stop and take it. You may never see it again. It ended up that there were plenty of camp sites and delaying an hour to take pictures of the snowy pines wouldn't have hurt anything. And if the camp sites were already gone it wasn't going to matter anyway - I'd have to figure something else out.


Entrance to DeMotte Campground
After the second drive through the pine forest, SR 67 heads into a wide meadow with forest on each side. The green pines were broken up with aspens that were a nice yellow. If the sun had been out I thought it would be very brilliant - which is indeed the case as I found out in the following days as the storm passed and the sun shone.


Eventually you arrive at the North Rim Country Store on the east side of the road, and Kaibab Lodge and Demotte Campground on the west. At about 11:30 AM, close to 6 hours after leaving home, I turned onto the short dirt road leading up to the campground, pulling up to the pay station. I noticed a road barricade with a "Full" sign folded up and placed behind the station so I felt relieved. The instructions said to go find a site, note the number, and return and fill out the paper work. I did, claiming drive through site #7. I was set for the night!


DeMotte Campground, Site #7
As you can see from the picture of the campsite, the campground looks out over the meadow, which is about 1,000 feet wide at this point. Although I didn't end up trying I thought you might be able to venture out there in the dark to get some star shots.

Since it was raining I decided not to put up my tent but to just sleep in the back of my Explorer. Armed with my REI self inflating air mattress, my heavy sleeping bag and a blanket, I knew I'd be plenty comfortable. I'm getting to where I prefer not messing with a tent, especially if there's a lot of moisture. So, with my lodging planned for the night, I left the campground and headed on south to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park. Woo hoo! 





No comments:

Post a Comment