Saturday, March 14, 2015

LowePro Inverse 200 AW


LowePro Inverse 200 AW
I'm still waiting to get my foot fixed and can't walk far or much on it (I've got a neuroma - an inflammation of a nerve). I'm down for another weekend, and if I can't actually take pictures I can at least think and write about it.




I mentioned in my last blog that I picked up a new camera bag to accommodate my new Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G lens. I could no longer fit my full frame kit in my previous LowePro Inverse 100 AW bag - the new lens is too long.

I looked at a lot of different bags online but the ones that I thought might work had listed measurements that sounded a bit too snug or didn't hang the same as my  LowePro Inverse 100. However, the measurements for the LowePro Inverse 200 also sounded snug. But, I decided to try it with the plan that if it didn't fit I'd return it.

I got it from Amazon, with free next day shipping (can't beat that!), and everything fits and I'm happy again! And that is everyones goal - keeping me happy!

I really have enjoyed the hip/waist bag. The LowePro Inverse bags have a waist and shoulder strap, along with a small handle right on the bag. These three items make it very easy to put the bag on.

I can hold the bag with the short handle, put the shoulder strap on, then fasten the waist strap. It's a logical process, works well thanks to the little handle, and at no time do I worry about the bag getting away from me so that I drop over $4,000 worth of camera gear packed inside.


I have my Nikon D610 full frame body, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, and Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G inside the bag along with some cleaning gear. In the pocket with the LowePro logo I carry goodies like a spare battery, infra-red remote, small flashlight, leash for my eyeglasses. Between that pocket and the main body I have a small tablet and pen. On the back of the pack I have my GPS and I've attached my filter pouch to the straps. I've got everything I need in there. By the way, I use that little pouch on the front to slip lens covers in while shooting. It's convenient and I always know where the cover is.


It's not easy to see, but at this point I store the gear without any lens attached to the body. I could  leave the 16-35mm or 50mm lens attached with the camera in the bag but I will start out with no lens attached because it always seems like when I get someplace I want to switch from the attached lens to a different one anyway. If that's the case then why leave one attached?

I had to leave the 16-35mm attached in the Inverse 100 - I couldn't store it in the bag with the camera unless it was attached.

Although I haven't actually got out to shoot with this rig yet, I shot for a year or more with the smaller Inverse 100 so I know I really like the bag. This version is basically the same except bigger, allowing me to take my upgraded equipment.

I like how this type of bag is on may waist so that I can get to things without having to take it off (unlike my backpack which you're always taking on and off to get to anything - at least I couldn't reach anything in it when it was on my back). Carrying a backpack with just one strap over your shoulder made me uneasy and unbalanced.

I carry my somewhat large Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod on a strap on my back too, which interferes with a backpack. With the waist bag there's no problem carrying both.

I like that when I sit on the ground, which I do quite a bit in order to get a lower perspective shot, the bag is securely off to my side. When I stand up it doesn't throw off my balance as much as a bag on my back does, which was another reason to take the backpack off frequently.


I can't wait to get my foot repaired and get back out shooting! At present I'm hoping to return to the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument - if it's not too hot next weekend. I have plans to go down next Saturday and spend the night at the campground so that I can get better lighting. Until then, keep shooting!

No comments:

Post a Comment