Thursday, March 5, 2015

I Think I have GAS

As much as I am spending on this foto stuff I am wondering if I suffer from GAS. That is:

Gear Acquisition Syndrome


With my latest lens purchase I've officially spent over $8,000 ($8,303.31 to be exact) on photography equipment and related items. And that's NOT counting some things I've picked up that I wouldn't have if I wasn't doing photography, such as a Casio watch with compass, altimeter, thermometer (about $100), a Garmin GPS (about another $130 including the mounts), camping gear (dunno, maybe another $400 - 2 cots, 2 tents because the cots wouldn't fit in the first tent, other stuff to cook with, etc.), park fees and memberships, and I'm sure there's more.

I'm just glad I don't ever plan to retire. I'll enjoy working in my 80's as long as I can remember what I spent potential retirement funds for! And as long as the photography equipment doesn't get ignored like the thousands of dollars I've spent on music equipment (10 guitars, full Marshall amplifier stack, recording gear and microphones, drum set, on and on) or wood working equipment (2 table saws, drill press, router table, jointer, planer, on and on again).

I know my wife hates it when I tell her lately that I want a new hobby. It makes her go spend time with her horse!

I keep thinking there's nothing more I need. And I keep telling my wife that too, partially in hopes of convincing myself. That's why today I've only ordered a new camera bag from Amazon - the LowePro Inverse 200 AW. I only put the new filters I am sure I need (Tiffen 77mm circular polarizer, ND set, and 67mm to 77mm step up ring) on my wish list on B&H and Adorama. The additional 8-pack of Eneloop AA batteries will have to wait but I'll probably get them before replacing my 50mm f/1.8D with a 50mm f/1.8G.

I feel the GAS coming again. Gotta go...

No comments:

Post a Comment