Thursday, February 6, 2014

The After Party

See some of my pics on flickr at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/randymorter/


The State of My Thingies


I bought a Nikon D3200 in August of 2013. According to Nikon or other sources, it was their best entry level DSLR up to that point. It was released for sale in April of 2012. It got good reviews, in fact, it got slightly better reviews than the D5100 due to the bigger sensor and other specifications and real-world results. The D5100, which had been released in April 2011, had some advantages such as the articulating LCD.

Keeping with my original plan of getting a good functioning unit without committing top dollar, I chose the D3200.

Now, in February 2014, the D5100 has been replaced by the D5200 (in January 2014, roughly a 3 year cycle). A D3300 is planned for release this month (it looks like it's still in pre-order status right now at Best Buy), roughly a 2 year cycle.

That brand new shiny DSLR, at least if it's a Nikon, will be old news within a couple of years or so. Kind of like Microsoft operating systems, they go out of style because the manufacturer releases a new version every so often. But, the camera will likely still work regardless of whether it's been replaced.
 

The Party's Over


As for me, after having my camera for about 6 months, I'm looking at my next camera. So I'm kind of going through the process again of looking for my next DSLR.

This time, though, I have a bit more experience. I'm not looking for a new camera just for the sake of having a new one, it's because I know what I want that the D3200 doesn't have. Things I was aware of when I got the D3200 but things I didn't know whether I'd want them or how valuable they'd be to me.

I'm not looking to get rid of my D3200 either.

After shooting as much as I have (and I'm not implying that it's a lot, just that I've shot enough to know what I wish I had that I don't), I know I don't like changing lenses outdoors in the desert where I live (Arizona). The dust is not my friend and it's everywhere. I want to be able to have a short lens and a long lens ready, each on their own body. By getting a second camera body I will accomplish that.

I like playing with HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography, using either Photomatix or Photoshop. I really WANT automatic exposure bracketing.

I want mirror lock up, depth of field preview, user settings, a bigger buffer and faster burst mode. I want more buttons so I don't have to wade through menus.

I don't care at all about movie mode or high ISO. I'd just as soon NOT have the movie mode (although I did use it recently to shoot some laughing hyenas that wouldn't have had the same impact if all I had was still shots).

I really want to get a better image quality (IQ).

My D3200 doesn't answer my want list. So, I've started researching my next camera body. I'm still most likely to stay with Nikon or Canon.

I haven't looked into Canon much yet, but since I haven't got a lot invested in the Nikon, I am looking into Canon. I just haven't got an opinion regarding that yet.

As for Nikon, after researching as much as possible on the interweb, I've come down to 3 choices. Again, these are not the top of the line cameras but they are going to be very good, and will meet my wants to a great extent.

My choices are the D7100 DX format, the D610 or D800 FX formats.

I've read a lot about how going to a "full frame" or 35mm equivalent generally yields better pictures. The FX format is Nikon's "full frame" DSLR format. The reviews I've read have steered me towards the newer and cheaper D610 over the D800. They tie on snapsort but that doesn't mean they're features are the same. I really like the CF card in the D810 for longer burst mode before the buffer fills, or at least that it minimizes the full buffer issues (the camera locks up until the buffer is written to the disk).

For me, then, the choice is between the D610 and D7100. Here I waffle. Snapsort gives an edge to the D610 in areas I care about, picture quality, color depth, dynamic range, larger view finder. That comes at an expense, though. The D7100 would use my current lenses. The D610 can use my current lenses but at reduced capacity. To buy FX format lenses means another significant amount of money.

I don't want another half step, though, so I'm really leaning towards the D610. Picture quality is what I'm after and the D610 rates higher. It's got higher contrast and color bit depth which should automatically provide better quality. But you don't see the difference unless you have lenses that support that level of quality. The D610 will also probably exceed the capability of my PC monitor to show differences. By the time I can actually get it, though, Nikon may have another version out! If they add more pixels to a D620 that would be great!

It's still a ways off in the future but if I get another Nikon, I think it'll be the D610. That should hold me until I start shooting for Arizona Highways or National Geographic (and they haven't called me yet!).
 

What I don't care about right now

Regarding the snapsort comparo between the D610 and D7100, I thought I'd mention the things I don't care about and why.


  • Lower noise at high ISO (advantage D610) - I have kind of gravitated towards shooting at ISO 100 as much as possible and just don't like the results I get at ISO above about 400 so I don't really care about this.
  • Higher resolution screen (advantage D7100) - I don't use the screen for much, especially for Live View. Histograms will likely look the same on either screen.
  • More focus points (advantage D7100) - I mainly do manual focus so this is a minor interest to me but for wildlife it is a consideration.
  • Shoots faster (advantage D7100) - this is one FPS difference; both are faster than what I have now. I'd still bet (and my reading has confirmed this to some extent) that the limiting factor is the buffer and relatively slow SD card.
  • Smaller, Thinner, Lighter (advantage D7100) - I just don't care. I think it's because I've worn 20 pound guitars around my neck for hours that I don't care about a 2 pound camera.
  • Faster shutter speed (advantage D7100) - I have yet to use the fastest shutter speed on my D3200.
  • Battery Life (advantage D7100) - both are better than the D3200. Both cameras use the bigger EN-EL15 batter (compared to the D3200).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment