Monday, October 23, 2017

Backpacking Gear #3 - Enlightened Equipment Revelation

My Quilt is Here!



Enlightened Equipment Revelation
My Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20 Degree Quilt arrived today. It's amazing how light the shipping box was. It's like I bought some air! I did try to weigh it on our bathroom scale but it wouldn't register. I weighed it on my little kitchen scale and it weighed as advertised - 1 pound 3 ounces.

It arrived stuffed into its storage bag. They supply both a storage bag, where the quilt is not compressed very much, along with a stuff sack more suitable for use in a backpack. The stuff sack does not compress the quilt to the maximum extent possible; I've seen videos of other people getting a compression sack to store it in for the pack.

It did loft up after I took it out of the storage bag. I sat it on my torso and quickly heated up under it. Note, however, that I'm in Phoenix and the air conditioning was set to 76 degrees Fahrenheit so it's not like it was freezing anyway. (Yeah, we're still using the air conditioning at only a week or so away from Halloween.)

I like the way the fabric feels. It's synthetic but it's very soft. I am hoping to try it out this coming weekend at Mt. Lemmon near Tucson, AZ.

The pictures below show what the quilt looks like in both of the bags with a beer bottle for size comparison. The text on the storage bag is washing instructions (like I'll ever wash it, ha ha).

Enlightened Equipment Revelation
in the stuff sack

Enlightened Equipment Revelation
in the storage sack


My Backpacking Gear


I think I'm done getting stuff. The party's over. Now it's time to hit some dirt. My last post went over my gear. The only thing I'm still up in the air over is my puffy jacket, either keeping the Outdoor Research Transcendent Down Hoody that I've got or to keep the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket that I've ordered and is coming soon.

That said, here's a picture of my pack with everything in it and then with everything out. I weighed it the best I could on the bathroom scale at 18 pounds 13 ounces. That's actually with a little food in it, but not with the jacket in it. But still, I'm looking at about a 20 pound pack which is pretty good!

My Gregory Baltoro 65
Loaded

My Gregory Baltoro 65
Unloaded
In the picture above you'll see these items: 
  • Gregory Baltoro 65 backpack with Paliston Caribiners
  • Map of Mt. Lemmon 
  • 1 full change of clothes in the red dry bag 
  • Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL2 3-Season 2-Person tent
  • Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20 Degree quilt
  • Various food items in the yellow dry bag
  • Outdoor Research Transcendent Hoody
  • REI Flash Insulated Sleeping Pad
  • 750 pound capacity paracord and OLight charger in the blue dry bag
  • Sawyer water filter in the mesh bag
  • Snow Peak cooking pot containing my Toaks folding spork and BRS 3000T stove
  • MSR fuel canister (peeking out from under the puffy jacket)
  • Marmot Precip hard shell jacket
  • Tyvek tent footprint
  • Empty bags for trash, etc.
  • Toiletries and first aid
  • Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles
  • Suunto compass
  • OLight S1 Flashlight
  • Leatherman Signal Multi-Tool, and finally, the 
  • Therm-a-Rest Z-Seat Pad.

Some Links I've found useful


I'd like to provide some links to at least some of the sites or YouTubers that I've found useful while gathering these goodies. I've spent a lot of time looking at reviews from both review sites as well as from people that have bought and used the gear, and I appreciate the information they've provided so that I hopefully didn't buy a lot of stuff I don't need or which is of inferior quality. 

In no particular order, I like these websites or backpackers listed below. I've looked at a good number of other sites too but I find these sites have good prices, good reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment