Monday, July 24, 2017

Chiricahua Camping Trip - Post Mortem

We Went, We Saw, We Left


Chiricahua National Monument
NPS Photo
Well, we did make it to the Chiricahua National Monument a couple of weeks ago. I got a site at the Bonita Canyon Campground for 2 nights. We got there late Friday night and I put up our brand new tent in the dark, using the Exploder's headlights.

It was still toasty when I was done at about 10PM. It must have still been about 90 degrees Fahrenheit  warm. It took us forever to fall asleep. It didn't get cool (and by that I mean maybe 70 degrees or so) until about 4 AM. When we climbed out of the tent around 6 AM or so we did not need a jacket, which was what we were hoping for.

By 8 AM it was already too warm to enjoy sitting at the camp site so we piled in the trusty Exploder and drove up to Massai Point. We drove to the other 2 parking areas up there before heading to the visitor center. I got my National Park Passport stamped, signed the registry, and we bought some souvenirs. We then visited Faraway Ranch before heading out of the park.

My wife was interested in the Willcox Playa because I have talked about it. So, we took the long drive completely around the southern end of the playa, through Sunizona and  Pearce / Sunsites after turning south onto Highway AZ 181 from the park entrance and then to Highway US 191.

At the crossing over the railroad track, about 4 miles south of Interstate 10, we decided to get off of the pavement and followed the road alongside the railroad tracks a bit. We hit one wash where the Exploder got pretty sideways; wifey thought she was going to be hitting the dirt after we rolled over. We made it past, and we made through there again on the way back. That turned out to be the most exciting part of the visit.

We took Interstate 10 back to Willcox, got a burger at the MacDonald's to eat at the town park, then headed back to the campsite, arriving there in the early evening.

We tried to stay through the night but after many debates, at about 9:30 PM we decided to pack it up. Again, in the dark, I broke the tent down and loaded the Exploder. We were out of there by about 10 PM. We got home about 2:00 PM.

I hadn't got a camera out of the bag the entire trip. I didn't even take a cell phone picture. I just didn't feel it. I didn't have the motivation to position myself anywhere for a sunrise or sunset picture. I didn't end my photography funk. I am glad I went; I always like the Chiricahuas. But, I wish I'd found inspiration to get my Nikon D610 out of it's bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment