Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Manfrotto 055XCCSB Short Center Column - WOOHOO - Update, 2/26/2017

Manfrotto 055XCCSB Short Center Column

Manfrotto 055XCCSB - Yippee!


I have been looking for the short center column for my tripod for a couple of years but they haven't been available. I decided that I'd try getting the full length version and cut it down to the size I want, and when I went online to order one I found the short column! Oh goodie!

I like my Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod a lot. I've had it a few years now and it looks and operates about the same as the day I got it. But for some time I've been wishing it didn't have that center column that also swings out 90 degrees. I've used that feature a few times but for the most part I dislike having to swing it out when trying to get my camera low to the ground. I've been considering a Platypod for that reason.

I found the official Manfrotto 055XCCSB available at manfrottospares.com for $59.99 (along with every other part for the 055XPROB tripod). That price includes free shipping, which is pretty cool considering that the part is coming from the United Kingdom!

Now I just may have to get another ball head...

Update - 2/26/2017


I received this item earlier this week, after about a 2 week delivery time. Not bad considering Manrotto said it could take 3 weeks due to clearing customs.

I switched my ball head onto this short column and mounted it on the legs without any issue. You do have to remove the little rubber cap on the bottom and the replace it when it's installed in the legs. The fit is perfect.

My only wish is that it was even shorter. I may cut it off more after I actually get outdoors and try it out. It still sticks down enough so that when the legs are in their flattest position, the center column hits the ground. But, if desired, you can pull the rubber cap back off (I may just leave it off) and swing it to the 90 degree position. That also gets the camera even lower since the ball head is then laying horizontally.

I think this will work to get my camera lower. My other choice is one of the Platypods but then I'd have a second thing to carry and I'd almost certainly need another ball head.

No comments:

Post a Comment