Friday, October 7, 2016

More support gear

Black Diamond Ergo Cork Trekking Poles

I want to be a hiker!


Before my trip to Yosemite National Park last month I bought a few items I thought I'd need for camping. If I could afford to stay in a motel all the time those things wouldn't be necessary. But, not only can I not afford to stay in motels all the time, I am hoping to get in to shape enough that I can hike to photographic locations. I'm tired of only shooting what I can see from within short walks from a road.

In fact, I want to get to the point that I can do an over-night hiking trip. I'd love to be able to hike out, pitch a tent, shoot some photographs that most people don't shoot, and make it back without serious health issues. That is what I'm working on now.

That said, my purchases prior to going to Yosemite were intended to start getting the gear required (or at least required as far as I know from watching YouTube!).

As I mentioned in my posts on August 24, 2016August 27, 2016, and September 21, 2016, I got some gear and clothing. I like all of my clothing purchases and am satisfied with my other gear. 

I'm heading to the Grand Canyon National Park - North Rim soon and decided to add some additional items.

More Stuff for Me

BPA Free 1 Gallon Jug

When I was at Yosemite National Park I had a hard time carrying water with me. It wasn't terribly hot but I often have a hard time with cramps when I'm camping and staying hydrated helps greatly. I have also found that by drinking more I don't get as hungry. Over the past year or so I've started drinking a lot of water which is why I got the water bottle to carry in my Explorer.

I carry a stainless cup in my Explorer and keep it filled using this water jug - and I use it because it has a screw top lid that is pretty secure. I get gallons of water from gas stations which have those snap on lids and then pour it in to this jug which doesn't have a lid that can pop off while driving over bumpy roads.

The problem is trying to carry my stainless cup with me on a trail, even a short one. The Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible pants have a cargo pocket on the right leg and I did carry the stainless cup in that pocket some but there were issues. It's heavy (24 ounces) which tugged on the pants significantly. I'm one of those guys that has a butt which is as shapely as a sheet of plywood, that is, without much to keep my pants up. The weight of my water cup kept me having to pull up my pants.

The cup also bangs around. It's not held tightly to my leg so each step as you walk the cup swings out then back to hit your leg. It didn't hurt but it was annoying. And, when I wanted to crouch or bend down and get on my knees, it was in the way then too. It just wasn't a great option.

Hydration Backpack


GkGk Hydration Backpack
I decided to get a Hydration Backpack and ordered the GkGk Hydration Backpack With Waterproof Cover from Amazon for $21.99.

I don't know for sure how this will work since if or when I start actually hiking I will need a full backpack which will have its own water bladder. And, when walking a trail to shoot photographs I hang other things on my shoulders so this may not be practical then either. 

I use a LowePro waist bag when I carry my gear, which has a shoulder strap. If I want to take my Nikkor 200-500mm lens I carry it in a separate Amazon backpack. I sometimes put a strap on my Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod and carry it with a strap that goes over my shoulders.

This was a pretty inexpensive way to try out a hydration backpack to see how I can work it in to work with my camera gear bags. I hope to try it out at the Grand Canyon and will let you know!

Snow Peak Titanium Mini Solo Cook Set


Snow Peak Titanium Mini Solo Cook Set
Before my last trip I had bought a MSR Stowaway Pot - 1600ml from REI. While it cooked okay, the handle is not very secure making it very difficult to pour out of. I decided to look for something else. After watching a number of YouTube videos about hiking cooking gear, I decided to try a Snow Peak titanium set from Amazon.

This set has much better handles. It is small, however. It probably will be okay if I use it while hiking by myself or if other people have their own pans. But I'm not sure how it will work to try to cook a meal for two. It's not advertised for that purpose but my wife and I will try it out while at the Grand Canyon.

It is too small to get a medium fuel canister inside of it. The small size might fit but I don't have a small one to try. I was able to get my Primus Yellowstone Classic Trail Stove inside. 

Sock Liners


Darn Tough Boot Socks
I also decided to try some sock liners. My wife and I have both purchased and really like Darn Tough Merino Wool Hiker boot socks. However, we both have a small issue with them bunching up as you walk. We haven't walked far, perhaps a couple of miles, but we both experienced it. 

In my case I think I bought socks that were too large. I plan to get another pair or two, and thanks to Amazon's return policy, I'm going to try a smaller size to see if they work better. 

But I've also read about using sock liners. I was hoping to have something that grips your feet and allows you to slide around in the boot sock, hopefully preventing the sock from bunching up. That's one of the things a sock liner is supposed to do. 

Fox River Liner Socks
I decided to get a couple pairs of Fox River Outdoor Wick Dry Alturas Ultra-Lightweight Liner Socks from Amazon for $5.99 each. I wear between a size 11-1/2 and 12 shoe so I ordered the XL size which is for size 12-14-1/2. I've received them and I'm concerned that I should have got the large (L) instead. These fit slightly loose and I'm worried about how they may either not solve my problem or may even compound it. 

I do like them other than perhaps the size issue. The seam above the toe is on the outside of the sock which means it won't dig in to your toes as much. It's also not right on the tip of your toes so it won't hurt you there either.

I will be trying these out at the Grand Canyon to some extent and I'll let you know how they work!

No comments:

Post a Comment