Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Some Photoshop CC Post-processing Notes - Part 1

I thought my post processing of this photo turned out pretty good so I thought I'd share what I did. 


Luna the male Barn Owl
Arizona's Raptor Experience

I am using Adobe's Creative Cloud Photography Plan (I also want to point out that I'm not affiliated with them or any other product that I mention, unless I explicitly mention it, and of which at this time there are none to mention). Since I installed the Google Nik Collection of processing plugins, I've mainly been using Photoshop and that's what I used for this image - Photoshop CC and various Nik plugins. 

First, I almost always shoot RAW, as I did for all of the images at this shoot. Without getting in to that discussion, the RAW format allows you a much greater latitude of adjustments in post processing. The first step in working with a RAW file is to import it using a RAW converter. I used the Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) converter for this file.


Adobe Camera Raw


I've created a few pre-sets in ACR, which are basically everything set at zero with these exceptions: 

  • On the "Lens Corrections" tab, I check the "Enable Lens Profile Corrections" check box on the "Profile" sub-tab and the "Remove Chromatic Aberration" check box is checked on the "Color" sub-tab.
  • On the "Camera Calibration" tab, I selected a few of the "Camera Profile" settings and saved each one as a different preset. I did this so I could go through them on the "Presets" tab.
  • For my Vivid2 preset, on the "Basic" tab, I also set the White Balance to Daylight and on the "Tone Curve" tab I selected the "Medium Contrast" curve. I found that I used these settings often so saved them as a preset.
By having everything else at zero I know I'm starting with a clean slate.

Here's what the RAW file looks like as shot. This version has no processing other than converting to JPEG and re-sizing.


Straight Out Of Camera
(SOOC)
In Camera Raw I normally do some spot cleanup for dust spots but since this was shot at f/4 the dust spots weren't visible anyway. Nice!

I adjusted the shadows to bring up the wing but that's about it. I planned to do the initial shapening and noise reduction in Nik so left those tabs alone and opened the image as an object in Photoshop.

By opening the image as an object you can go back and adjust things in Camera Raw as well as the other adjustments I planned to make with the Nik plugins.


Nik Plugins


Following the Nik plugin suggested workflow, I planned to do the "pre-sharpening" with the Nik Sharpener Pro 3 Raw Presharpener. I'll have to admit that using the Nik plugins adds time to a workflow because it takes time to open them up. They have to convert the files to .TIFs to work with them and each plugin has to go through that process. On the positive side, for this plugin, you can more easily control what you want sharpened and what you don't. 

I didn't want to sharpen the sky or that background in the lower left. By using the control points I could apply the initial sharpening to my subject only and to not try to sharpen the blurred areas that I paid more for a lens that would try to blur things out in camera.

If you don't use the Nik plugin you should at least always use the "Masking" slider in Camera Raw or Lightroom to control where sharpening is applied by hitting the [Alt] key as you move the slider and adjusting it until only the desired edges are highlighted in white. This is a trick I only found out about in the last few months but it means you're NOT applying sharpening to the entire image but only the edges that need it.


Nik Dfine 2
Next I used the Nik Dfine 2 to do a slight bit of noise reduction. Similar to the pre-sharpener, you can use control points to control what you want noise reduction applied to. 

I've just recently (within the last few weeks) stopped worrying about noise reduction much but I still like to apply it to large areas of the same or similar color such as the sky. I used control points to prevent or reduce noise reduction on the owl but I did use it for the sky.

You can see that the owl is masked (black) which means that noise reduction is NOT being applied in those areas. Noise reduction works by blurring pixels. Even if it's slight, I don't want to blur the details on this subject with noise reduction. I didn't really see any noise on the owl anyway but by masking him I know that there won't be any blurring of the detail in his feathers due to the noise reduction.


Nik Color Efex Pro 4
Since I didn't feel I needed to adjust the general lighting much I didn't use Viveza 2 and instead went straight to Color Efex Pro 4. Note that Viveza 2 can also be used to add "structure" to an image, basically to bring out additional detail, in addition to allowing you to do lighting and color adjustments.

I also didn't feel the need to do a lot of color effects but I did some. I used the "Detail Extractor" filter to help bring out more detail in the feathers. I used the  "Polarization" filter to darken the sky a bit as well as to bring out the blue in the sky. This filter also provided a bit more contrast and saturation to the owl. Finally I used the "Darken / Lighten Center" filter to add a bit of a vignette, but I ended up doing even more directly in Photoshop later.

Those are the initial edits I did with the raw file and the Nik plugins. You can probably see in the image in the initial images that Luna has the leather "jesses" around his feet. My next step was to create a copy of the smart object and put it in to a new layer to begin working on that. You can't edit a smart object directly as far as using the healing brush.


Adobe Photoshop Clone and Heal


By clicking on the smart object layer and selecting everything ([CTRL] [A]) you can make a new copy by pasting the copied image ([CTRL] [V]). This will create a merged copy on top of the smart object which will allow cloning out items such as the jesses. Note that I took the time to re-label the new layer to "Merge & Cleanup".

After some time I got an acceptable removal of the jesses as shown below. I think it's okay - and I don't think most people are going to know what the legs truly look like without the jesses nor will they concentrate on that portion of the owl as much as his head. Here's a shot of Photoshop up to this point. I'll continue with the rest in the next post. 


Photoshop after the initial edits, merge, and cloning
.


No comments:

Post a Comment