Sunday, April 5, 2015

Nikon D610 Sensor - Cleaned

In my last post I discussed how it was time to get the sensor of my Nikon D610 cleaned and that I'd report on the outcome. Here it is, as promised...

I took Friday, 4/3/2015 off from work and headed north to stay in the Sedona, Arizona area. Usually you can get a campground spot by doing that as long as you get there about when the 3 National campgrounds open up along the Oak Creek Canyon, State Route 89A. This weekend was close. I don't know if I've never gone camping on Easter weekend, or if I've just never gone to the Sedona area.

When you get off of I-17 at Exit 298 to take State Route 179, you will pass through Village of Oak Creek seven miles before hitting Sedona. Seven miles. I think it took me about an hour to get from Village of Oak through Sedona before hitting State Route 89A. In other words, traffic moved an average of probably 7 to 10 miles per hour. To put it another way, it was not pleasant or fun.

The delay made me too late to get a spot at Manzanita, the southernmost campground. I kept going until I got to Cave Springs at about 12:30PM but they would only let me add my name to a list which would let me get access if I returned at 2:00 PM. And, I was on the second or third page of the list. I had the attendant add my name but wasn't sure if I'd go back.

I continued on to Pine Flats, the northernmost campground. They had one spot and would let me take it so I did. The spot was closely tucked in-between two other spots but it was level and the tent area had been freshly raked. I felt lucky to get it.

Our campsite at Pine Flats, Spot #10, 4/3/2010
I put up the tent and did a few other things although I was again travelling very light. I didn't have a stove or gear for a fire nor did I plan to make one. I had a cooler with 3 beers, some lunch meat, and some apples. I had a loaf of bread, granola, craisins, and jerky. Oh, and a couple of gallons of water. It doesn't take long to make or break camp. I headed back to Sedona thinking I could tolerate the traffic now that I had secured a camp site.

I wanted to scope some picture locations during the day with the intent of returning at dusk to shoot. I'd seen a promising location near the Sedona airport so I checked it out. From the junction of 179 and 89A, you head southwest on 89A towards Cottonwood, turning south on Airport Road at the light.

Since it was mid-day and the sky was mostly clear (and therefore uninteresting) I didn't end up taking any pictures but it looks like would be good at dusk and night. There should be a good amount of city lights below the rock formations and it's a good vantage point.

Red Rocks at Sedona, AZ
I continued along 89A towards Cottonwood and then drove the Red Rock Loop Road, turning south at Sedona Red rock High School. After a couple of turns I found a little turn off with a number of other cars parked there so decided to see what was over the rise. That's where I snapped one of two pictures that were worth spending time post processing.
 
It's still a mid-day shot but I think it's okay. Maybe I think that because I had to move the camera a number of times in order to get the foreground trees to hide the houses that are at the base of the hill. You can't see them in the shot but they're all along the base, ruining the shot unless you hide them. I'm not positive of the rocks but I believe its the formation that the Chapel of the Holy Cross is up against.

I completed the Red Rock Loop Road and it was a nice drive but other than a rabbit I didn't see much else to warrant returning - and the other reason to take the loop is to visit the Red Rock State Park but it was closed at 4:00 PM.

I decided I'd seen enough. The traffic other than Red Rock Loop Road was awful. I ended up driving back to the campground, got there a bit before dark, enough to feed my dog and myself, and we went to bed, giving up on the dusk shots. I was hoping I'd wake up early and get either midnight shots or dawn shots.

I woke up a number of times throughout the night and early morning but it was so cold that I couldn't bring myself to get out from under the sleeping bag. I hadn't really brought a warm jacket and it was about 40F.

San Fransisco Peaks near Flagstaff, AZ
When we did get up, it was after the sun had been up and warmed up the place. We broke camp and headed north on 89A to Flagstaff in order to avoid the Sedona traffic. I drove up to Lowell Observatory but didn't go in because of my dog. I took this shot of the San Fransisco Peaks and their lack of snow pack. Then I headed back to Phoenix after a disappointing photography trip but which was still pleasant on other levels.

I have described the outing because there's not that much to report as far as the sensor cleaning other than I am very happy with the results. Before getting the sensor cleaned I normally had to get rid of maybe 50 or 75 different spots, depending on the aperture and how much sky was included in the shot (and whether or not there were clouds that might have hidden some spots).

Even using the Nikon Capture NX2 Dust Off functionality meant I still had to spend some time. Lightroom was about the same. I really disliked the amount of time required to get rid of the spots (on the other hand, I was very thankful the tools existed to do the clean up).

After the cleaning, when I post processed the pics I had a total of 4 or 5 dust spots per pic that I had to remove. The San Fransisco Peaks pic had 5 spots, all others only had 4. That was amazing and put a grin on my face! It took maybe 5 minutes in post processing per picture or less -mainly less since in Nikon Capture NX2 you can save the edits and then run them on additional pics as a batch. (I did go through that on additional pics but they were just more snapshot type pics of the campground.)

My conclusion is that Tempe Camera did a great job cleaning the sensor for $US65.00. It still had some spots but since I mounted the lenses in the field they could be new dust spots. They were in the center and upper right side of the image. It looks like they cleaned the entire camera and shrink-wrapped it for returning. It was clean inside and out. They returned my exact battery. They don't have you leave a SD card in it so there's no question about that. I recommend their service and will have it done again when I need it. Now I can change my lenses in the field without fear.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment